Halloween Costume Cautions
- Because they can obstruct a child's vision, masks are not recommended. However, parents
should try on the mask themselves. If it's uncomfortable or heavy on the face, chances are your child won't want to wear the
- I f a child wears makeup, parents should look for non-toxic, hypoallergenic kits.
- Costumes should be flame-retardant and fit properly. Avoid oversized shoes, high
heels and long skirts or pants that could cause a child to fall.
- Children who will be trick-or-treating after dusk should have reflective tape on
their costumes and carry flashlights.
Halloween Pumpkin Carving
- Small children should never carve pumpkins. Children can draw a face with markers,
then parents can do the cutting.
- Under parents' supervision, children ages 5 to 10 can carve with pumpkin cutters
equipped with safety bars.
- Votive candles are safest for candlelit pumpkins.
- Lighted pumpkins should be placed on a sturdy table, away from curtains and other
flammable objects and should never be left unattended.
- Remember YOU are may be liable if pumpkins are lit on your property the night of
trick or treating. Keep them off the ground and away from trick or treaters.
Trick - or - Treats
- Children shouldn't snack while they're trick-or-treating. Parents should check treats at home.
- Watch for signs of tampering, such as small pinholes in wrappers and torn or loose packages.
- Parents of young children should get rid of choking hazards such as gum, peanuts, hard candies or small toys.
Home Safely Home
- To keep their home safe for visiting trick-or-treaters, parents should remove anything a child could tip over such as
garden hoses, toys, bikes and lawn decorations.
- Parents should check outdoor lights and replace burned-out bulbs.
- Wet leaves should be swept from sidewalks and steps.
- Remember that Halloween is for children of all ages, so get involved with your little ghost or goblin!
- Best to plan a route the day prior to trick or treating. Establish a beginning, middle and end point in case any members
of the group get lost.